Wednesday, December 21

Bye Bye Jesus

When I first heard the news about Damon leaving the Sox I was pissed. I was even more pissed to hear he went to the hated Yankees. This is a guy who 7 months ago said this...
"I want to stay here, but I may walk and go home. I might shut it down in a couple of years.
"There's no way I can go play for the Yankees, but I know they are going to come after me hard. It's definitely not the most important thing to go out there for the top dollar, which the Yankees are going to offer me. It's not what I need.
"I'd like to finish my career here [Boston]. I'm not sure they'll let me do it, if they offer me [only] two or three years [on a contract]. I want at least four or five. "
now this guy is with the Evil Empire.
The worst part about this isn't that Damon left us, it's that he leaves us without a perennial leadoff hitter. He left us without the quote in clubhouse. He left us without Jesus. There are potential replacements for both which I will get to later, but the reason why IM pissed the most is because now I have to out up with the Yankee fans. Prime example, I was sitting in class today and this kid, who 2 years ago was trying to argue that Chad Pennington is a better QB than Brady, so keep that in mind, and he walks in saying "give the Yankees the world series title" and I was thinking this guy has no idea what he was talking about, yes this does cripple the Sox, but it doesn't give the Yankees an huge edge over us. He went on to cite a fan poll on ESPN.com that stated over 65% of people now say the Yankees will win the division. Anyway on to the potential replacements, the Globe lists about 15 possible replacements, I think the best possible replacements could be via trade.
the first of which is Torii Hunter. He would easily replace Damon's defense, but that would still leave us without a leadoff man. The next of which is Joey Gathright, he is speedy enough to cover center field at Fenway and he can bat leadoff, and while we are dealing with TB we can maybe pry Julio Lugo out of them as well, who can also bat leadoff. Personally I like Hunter just as much as the next fan, but I think a deal with TB for both Lugo and Gathright for Marte and perhaps Bronson or Clement.
anyway mark down December 20th as the new night for the last supper.

No comments: