Monday, December 12

My Brother's Ramblings

A quick introduction before we get to my recap of the week that was in sports. I’m Josh; Eli’s older and sometime wiser, always funnier, brother. Since this my first venture to online blogging, I will make some general sports/ESPN comments before we get to the good stuff. It’s sorta like the first few seasons of the Simpsons, which had great social commentary. But as the seasons became decades, the ideas started to run dry. First there were 70% good shows. Then 50 then 20 and finally about 1 really good episode a year if you clip all the good lines together. That analogy works for me except that I will be going strong well into my thirties.

A condolence to the Pryor family. Richard was a legend and his work in Superman 3 will never be forgotten.

How amazing is the map of the US that ESPN.com has that shows the state-by-state breakdown of the online polls. It shows us a few things. First, there are only 5 people in the following states; Alaska, Montana, North and South Dakota (combined), Idaho, and Wyoming. I mean even Rhode Island has more people voting. Second, fans will vote for their teams no matter how obvious the truth is. (This especially applies to the Boston fans, however the Pats WILL repeat as Super Bowl Champs…..more on this latter).

Let’s start with the Heisman. Just one comment. Whoever, didn’t vote for Reggie Bush (at all) should have their voting rights suspended. Apparently he was only listed on 99% of the ballots. That means someone (probably from Texas) voted for Vince Young for first place, Brady Quinn for second place and probably Matt Leinart for third, just to make sure Reggie Bush wouldn’t get his vote. This should be illegal. If the Texas fans, and to a lesser extent the ND fans, wanted to vote for their QB (or both) that still leaves Bush for number 3. How does he not get the nod? Beats me.

On to baseball. I had the great honor to meet, in my opinion, the hosts of one of the best sports shows on TV or Radio. Mike and Mike from ESPN radio. I asked Mike Golic, “Why would either team (Texas and Washington) make the Soriano trade?” His answer, “I don’t know either.” I just wanted to put that in my blog.

I like the Manny for Miggy trade talk. Now, Miggy says he doesn’t want to be traded. YOU KIDDIN ME? Of course he does. Who wouldn’t want to play for a World Series contender? A team with a devout following worldwide, that idolizes its players. A team that creates websites to keep players that want to leave. (Maybe that question should be left unanswered). But seriously, aside from the 2 G’s replacing the 2 N’s, it would be like Manny moving to short, playing great D, and being a real team leader. There would be negligible drop-off in offensive production and we can again claim we have a better shortstop than either one on the Yanks. Also, Miggy is 29 to Manny’s 33.

The Blue Jays and Mets are morons. Nothing else to add. Who gives a closer more money than career saves? Who gives a 47-year-old player anything other than a coaching job?

I don’t know what to think of JJ Redick. Another ‘Great White Hype’ or another ‘Great Duke Hype’?

Pats and Corey Dillon are finally getting better. As long as the defense holds up, there is a serious chance of, dare I say, three-peat. Brady is the number 2 QB in the league (Yes, Manning is better despite never winning the Big One) and can be a flamethrower when he wants to. Defense shut down a pathetic offense but it was good practice.

Seattle is making a serious threat to only be a 7-point underdog to Indy in the Super Bowl. They are crushing crappy teams but that’s what great teams do. (Except Indy let Jax get 15 points in the fourth). I mean look at the G-Men. Manning Jr. let the Eagles get back in the game when he threw 3 picks down the stretch in crunch time. Minnesota will make the playoffs and Dallas will drop out. Call me crazy, but I think Kansas City will get the last AFC playoff spot. Houston will win Reggie Bush except that Bush will then decide to go back to USC rather than take a beating because the O-Line sucks.

That’s it for now. Hope you enjoyed the show. Check back later in the week for mailbag comments.

No comments: